Deadline: 25th November 2015
With its 4.100 employees and 32.000 students, the University of Graz offers an
exciting and varied work environment. As a central institution in research and
education we guarantee Styria’s visibility on the European map.
Department of Sociology is opening one position of University Assistant without
a PhD for the specialization Sociology of Gender
(40 hours per week; fixed-term employment for the period of 4 years to be
filled as of now)
The successful applicant will be working closely with the Professor of
Sociology of Gender at the Department of Sociology and will be expected:
· To conduct teaching assignments at the Department of Sociology within the
specialization sociology of gender and also in the university-wide
Interdisciplinary MA in Gender Studies.
· To develop and conduct research projects in the area of sociology of gender.
· To work on a PhD research project within the university’s core area
“Heterogeneity and Cohesion” (http://huk.uni-graz.at/en/ ) , preferably
focused on social aspects of creative activities in everyday life or on the
sociology of creative industries.
· To complete the text of a PhD thesis.
· To attend scholarly conferences and publish the results of his/her research
in scholarly venues, as well as disseminate the findings in a suitable form
outside academia (knowledge transfer).
· To contribute to the development of the Sociology of Gender specialization
at the Department of Sociology.
· To organize guest lectures, workshops, conferences and other events related
to the teaching and research activities within sociology of gender.
. To participate in BA examinations and BA dissertation supervision, as well as
in administrative tasks and evaluation procedures at the department.
· To coordinate and in cooperation with the IT services to maintain the
Sociology of Gender homepage.
· To further her/his teaching and research competence.
· Completed Master’s degree or equivalent in sociology.
· Sound knowledge of gender theory, especially with regard to researching
culture (sociology of culture, cultural sociology and/or new materialism).
· Competence in qualitative research methods.
· Native or near-native knowledge of German, advanced spoken and written
academic English skills.
· Reading comprehension of at least one East Central / South East European
· IT skills: MS Office, online research tools and research databases, webpage
· Familiarity with new media (desirable).
· Previous experience in teaching, research, project development and
· Research independence, creativity and originality.
· Interest and joy in both teaching and research.
· Intellectual curiosity and willingness to learn.
· Excellent organizational, communication and social skills.
· Ability to work in a team and to work under pressure.
· Personal initiative and proactive approach.
Salary grade according to the University Collective Agreement): B1
The minimum salary as stated in the University Collective Agreement is set at
€ 2662,90 gross per month. This salary may be increased with regard to years
of service and further benefits.
We offer you a job with a lot of responsibility and variety. You can expect an
enjoyable work climate, flexible work hours and numerous possibilities for
further education and personal development. Take advantage of the chance to
enter into a challenging work environment full of team spirit and enthusiasm
for your job.
Application Deadline: 25th November 2015
Reference Number: MB/121-1/99 ex 2014/15
The University of Graz strives to increase the proportion of women in
particular in management and faculty positions and therefore encourages
qualified women to apply.
Especially with regard to academic staff, we welcome applications from persons
with disabilities who meet the requirements of the advertised position.
If you are interested, please submit your application documents within the
stated deadline. Make sure to indicate the reference number on your application
package that includes a motivation covering letter citing the above Reference
Number, PhD research proposal outline (max. 500 words excluding bibliography),
CV, names and contact details of 2 referees, and copies of relevant diplomas
and certificates (the submitted documents will not be returned to the
applicants) electronically to: